Sunday, June 6, 2010

Back to summer blogging



"Li béf mwen."



Summer. I won't make any grand statements about what it signifies (flowers and Brown Eyed Girl and basil and joy), but I will say I'm happy it's here.

I spent two weeks in Haiti, planting trees, practicing kreyol, and visiting friends. The Haitian newspaper Le Matin was still functioning, although they publish weekly now. Prestige beer is back to brewing its lovely signature beer and Guinness. The factory was fascinating, as it employs hundreds of Haitians and sends its beverages throughout Haiti, despite crumbled roads.


Sweet boy who called me "blan." I said, "M pa rele blan, m rele Carol." (My name is not whitey, my name is Carol).


Morning fishers.



Between Port-au-Prince and New York, a very special picnic:


Now, I'm in New York, working for a magazine and learning about Haitian media. I'm hoping to eat delicious food, meet people, and hear their stories. Life is full when it's full of stories.

No comments: