Friday, May 22, 2009

Roaming in the trail of the Ripper

I studied Jack the Ripper for a year in this cool research class in high school. Perhaps I got a little too into it: I made figures out of GI Joe dolls to represent the suspects, recorded my voice as a prostitute on tape, and served the panel of judges (they watched my speech) little red cupcakes with arms pushing through the top like severed limbs. My parents were glad when it was all over. Oh, but it isn't.

I'm working at Mute Magazine in Whitechapel, Jack the Ripper's killing ground. I'm two streets east of where his third victim, Lizzie, was found mutilated.

Look for Commercial Road on the right. I work on a street just north of the picture of Elizabeth .

So on my lunch break yesterday, I went rambling with my wonderful co-worker Raquel. We found out the spot of that murder is now inhabited by four-square playing children on recess at school.













Photo by CJ Lotz

Her body was found just beyond the sunny flowered wall.

My actual building is far away from creepy. It's gorgeous:

Photo by CJ Lotz

It's funny how things come back to haunt us.

1 comment:

Ronak said...

It's so eerie to think of a place having such a polar nature. I was thinking about it researching the history of some of the locations we'll be at in Berlin. So many historic areas were razed in World War II--some are in shambles, others have been fully restored, and still others have been replaced by new things. Some buildings housed refugees, others housed Gestapo, and now both house neither. A surgeon's room was converted to an indie music club.

I guess it's not unusual. Most slums in Indian cities were once just villages. Farms were forests, suburbs were farms, republics were empires were city-states were tribes. I guess I just a weird feeling about the sacred permanence a physical space should have in my mind.