Saturday, May 30, 2009

Dover and Laura Goins' future home

The world from a bus window looks similar across continents. Tree. Tree. Car. Tree. Field...

We drove to Dover and Canterbury today to see castles and other beautiful sites not usually seen from any window of mine:

Dover Castle. The most amazing part was how history was built upon generations of history. I can just imagine the British saying "shoot, we're doing cool stuff, I guess we need another castle," or "shoot, here comes another war. Let's build more secret tunnels. They can wind around the medieval part and up past the WWI lookouts."

Our ancestors shot arrows at our other ancestors from here. Or, they tied ropes to arrows and sent messages in buckets to people bored in other windows.

No words are needed on British signs. It could read: "Don't Fail at Everything."

When we drove to Canterbury, I was thinking about tales and a dear, dear friend of mine, Laura. She'll be studying there for a whole year starting this fall. I thought I'd go ahead and make sure it's a cool place. Laura, there's a sweet army surplus store:


Get those boots and step on crickets.

There's also the main Cathedral of the Anglican Church:


Which featured tracery in overwhelming amounts. We were all reverent, except for this one disrespectful lounging man just chilling in the sanctuary:

Don't worry, I think it's a safe place for Laura to live. But there are a lot of pubs, a lot of old people, and a really good fudge shop that she'll have to deal with.

1 comment:

"Pops" said...

I want that sign in my apartment